Taiwan enjoys the reputation of being the “Kingdom of Fruits” and you are in for a fruity and nutritious treat when you travel through Taiwan.
Why is Taiwan called the Kingdom of Fruits?
In Taiwan, a rich variety of fruits can be harvested throughout the seasons because:
1. Taiwan’s subtropical weather is ideal for different types of fruits to grow throughout the year.
2. Taiwan’s diverse nature offers fertile landscape and natural resources for cultivating high quality fruits.
3. Hardworking and passionate farmers who have devoted their effort and time to bring the freshest fruits to everyone! Many of the farms cultivating fruits have been operating for many years and some of the farms are modernized by second or third generations farm owners.
FRUITS SEASONS IN TAIWAN
Each season in Taiwan welcomes fresh fruits harvested from all over the island. In spring, sweet peaches and, lychees flourish in the gentle climate. When the weather becomes warmer from June to August, you can enjoy juicy fruits like watermelons, mangoes, and longans that are perfect for summer. In autumn, pomelo, persimmon, and avocado are harvested, and in winter, oranges, grapes, and strawberries grow in abundance. Download the fruits calendar and map here to plan your next Taiwan vacation!
Here’s the types of fruits you can savor in the different seasons!
TAIWAN’S FRUITS IN SPRING (MARCH TO MAY)
- Fairy Lake Leisure Farm 仙湖休閒農場 (Tainan)
- G.L.P Ground Farm 公老坪農場 (Taichung)
- Fong-Gu Litchi Tourism Orchard 風谷荔枝觀光果園 (Hsinchu)
Asian Plum 梅子
- Meiling Leisure Agricultural Zone 梅嶺休閒農業區 (Tainan)
- Fu-Lai Chinese Plum Garden at Meiling Scenic Park 梅嶺福來梅園 (Tainan)
TAIWAN’S FRUITS IN SUMMER (JUNE TO AUGUST)
TAIWAN’S FRUITS IN AUTUMN (SEPTEMBER TO NOVEMBER)
- The Persimmon Brother Farm 柿子哥農場 (Chiayi)
- Weiweijia Dried Persimmon Educational Farm 味衛佳柿餅教育農園 (Hsinchu)
- Jin Han Dried Persimmon 金漢柿餅教育農園 (Hsinchu)
TAIWAN’S FRUITS IN WINTER (DECEMBER TO FEBRUARY)
- Refresh Farm 清香休閒農場 (Taipei)
- White Rock Organic Leisure Farm 白石森活有機休閒農場 (Taipei)
- The Happy Berry Land Of Jinbang Plantation 金榜草莓園 (Miaoli)
ENJOY TAIWAN’S FRUITS ALL YEAR ROUND
- Ming-Chuan Ecological Farm 銘泉生態休閒農場 (Pingtung)
- Sunshine Fruit 陽光果子 (Kaohsiung)
- Taiwan Vegan Pineapple 台灣維根鳳梨 (Pingtung)
- Jijibanana Farm 集元果觀光工廠/農場 (Nantou)
- Youth Banana 台青蕉樂 (Kaohsiung)
- Taiwan Banana Research Institute 財團法人台灣香蕉研究所 (Pingtung)
FRUITS PICKING TIPS
- Check with the farms about their fruits in season and availability, and make reservations before making a trip down
- Follow the guidelines shared by the farms when picking the fruits
- Select ripe fruits to pick so you can enjoy the best quality
- It’s takes a lot of hard work to harvest the fruits so pick only what you can eat. Do not waste!
- Enjoy the fruits and support the farms!
SPECIAL FEATURE: BEST LEISURE FARM IN TAIWAN FOR FRUITS PICKING
FENGSHOU ORCHARD 豐碩果園
Fengshuo Orchard is a well known farm in Chiayi County’s Lunbei Township. The long-running farm is the fruit of labor by Mr and Mrs Shen. The farm is located in an area where the natural environment is conducive for agriculture and there’s a constant supply for water from surrounding rivers.
The farm has been modernized by their children 沈芳義, 沈朝富, and 沈郁穎, who have taken over the family business and integrated technology to transform traditional farming methods to modern agricultural processes. They improved the facilities and efficiency of the farm.
The prized fruit of the farm is the sweet milk melon 牛奶香瓜 (牛奶翠妞)! The melons are grown in their special greenhouses from May to September. The conditions in the greenhouse are carefully calibrated to ensure that the fruits strive in the most optimal environment. One plant produces only one melon so the quality of the milk melon is exceedingly superior. The melons are amazingly sweet and succulent. The crispy skin of the melon can be eaten. During their harvest season, the demand for the fruits is high so make reservations for the melons if you happen to be in Taiwan during the harvest season.
Cherry tomatoes are cultivated in the farm from December to May. Their cherry tomatoes 牛奶小蕃茄 (玉女) are famous for being extremely sweet. The secret to their sweetness is… fresh milk is added during the farming process! Public members are welcome to join fruits picking sessions where they can pick the ripe tomatoes in the greenhouses.
The Shen family strongly believes that it’s important for everyone to understand where the fruits they are eating come from. The farm has effectively combined agriculture with education and leisure so visitors can tour their orchards, participate in fruits picking, and other farm related activities to learn more about farming in Taiwan. Excited to learn more about fruits and agriculture in Taiwan? Contact the farm to plan your farm visit!
Find out more about what you can do in Chiayi with my Insider’s Guide to Chiayi’s Cultural and Culinary Secrets and 72-hour itinerary to Chiayi City.
Address: No. 89-13, Dalun, Shuishang Township, Chiayi County 608 , Taiwan (R.O.C.)
Contact number: +886-5-371-4221
Buy your Chiayi train tickets here!
WATCH THE SPECIAL TRAVEL VIDEO
This article is a supplement to the virtual travel session “Experience the harvest of fruits in Taiwan: The kingdom of fruits” organized by Taiwan Tourism Bureau, Singapore. It is a special collaboration between whywendywrites and Taiwan Leisure Farms Development Association. Watch the video here!
I strongly believe in empowering travelers to know better, travel better! I value privacy and transparency. The article contains affiliate links so I may be compensated to run the website and continue to create content if you make a purchase at no extra cost to you.